Thursday 8 May 2014

CaseZilla vs OOKaDApus or Please Release Me Let Me Go..

Hi guys.

If any of you have seen the pics of my case*, you know my case is fighting for its life with my water setup. For me it's just much easier and less costly to let this continue..but actually.. I should have chosen a better (bigger) case.

I have a Xigmatek White Knight 7 slot case, which is quite pretty but I have struggled.. and if you will indulge me some opinions, I would like to share my thoughts on case sizes and form factors.

The case itself is a nice case and I would buy Xigmatek again, and have since buying the White Knight.
but  ideally, I would have a 9 or 10-12 slot case. I know I have strange tubing, I admit that, and I have an order on OverclockersUK to correct that..(not in stock but on order)..but even with that, with three 2 slot cards (I plan to get my third 660ti back) .. I am going to filled to the brim! ..but I am going to miss my pretty white case. I don't want to let it go.

The definitions for cases by case manuf. are changing for a more modern age,  presumptuously perhaps, I have some opinions on what's what, as far as case size and form factor and definition.

I would say :

1, 2 and 3 mITX to ITX. Micro builds or SFF.
4 to 6 slots is ITX to mATX and Small Form Factor (sometimes also ATX for SFF)
6 to 7 is mATX to ATX, a MIDI Tower size case. general computing. small gaming build.
8 and 9 is ATX to E-ATX, a Full Tower size case. 8 being small 9 being large. Gaming 3 cards.
10 to 12 E-ATX to XL-ATX a Super Tower, great ventilation for gaming, can be used in a workstation build. Premium for gamers. 4 cards.
12+ slots for a workstation/server build. .. AFAIK, there are no cases like this on the market, perhaps there are workstation servers that I don't know about.

The cost of  Full Towers is coming down at the time of writing, you can get a small Full Tower for around £60 to £80 and a large one for around £100 to £140. 8 slots meaning four 2 slot graphics cards.. facilitating easy upgrade. 9 slots means you have clearance too.. which depending on your power supply, can be very needed.

While you can fit 3 cards in a 7 slot case.. trust me, it can get messy pretty quickly and cable tidying can be a nightmare.

We have had multi-card protocols for a while now.. and perhaps gamers, want more from their cases. now if I am buying for my main rig.. I know better, not to go below 8 slots.

peace

Dava


*https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=839032056114281&set=pcb.290615997754654&type=1&theater


7 Slot case + 2 card+ water cooling

No comments:

Post a Comment