Friday 5 September 2014

An Open Letter to AMD.. or hold on, my change wasn't correct, I'm a few cores short.. :(

To AMD

Recently, I had a problem, my rig died in a water incident, since then I have been searching for a way to build a rig while still saving for my OH to come to this country, we are applying for her VISA soon and it costs enough that I do not have cash to spare.

I have the remaining parts from the original rig, but don't know which is faulty and have no way to test, I also have a C2Q 6600 and could buy a board that took DDR3, but alas! only 2gb modules are supported.. I have 4x4GB. My first reaction is ..to build one of your fine APU offerings, best IGP money can buy, can even game at 720 properly ..or partially at 1080.. this is some feat and I congratulate you on such a task undertook.

But now to what I discovered.. it boggles the mind.. WHY if I buy a 7850k and a R7 250 are the extra shader cores disabled??

The 7850k has 512 shader cores and the highest Dual Graphics Radeon supported card has.. 384.. crossfire NEEDS these to be equal or it shuts off shader cores!! why why why?? .. was this just an oversight..please tell me this was just an oversight.. please DON'T WRECK your plan for system on chip, by thinking marketing ploys will still work for APU's.. for APU's it doesn't work the same way it did in the past..

For example.. a motherboard manufacturer wants a price cap, they say, this is our low end motherboard its marketings responsibility to price it accordingly..they come back the R&D and say, we want to limit the features... to justify the price..*usually* they limit the RAM speed..but Homer Simpson DOH! APU's relies so heavily on RAM speed.. you are gimping your product.. and so the whole platform. the LOWEST RAM speed for APU mobos, at the poor end should be 1866 here.. the high end enthusiast being 2666mhz. supported and QVL'd.

In a more complicated way you are doing a similar thing, by thinking you can have different specs for cards and APU's. you can't..well, you can but you destroy the idea of apu's being a platform.

your highest APU the 7850k has 512 shaders, 32 texture, 8 rendering cores.. so you needed only ONE card in the Radeon line up to match this EXACTLY for YOUR idea to work..you spent.. xxxxx dollars already developing and marketing the idea to your customers and fans, spending money to create a building structure for PC builders to find easy to understand. but.. POOF.. gone!! when marketing decided.. 'erm lets put the cores at 384'. And if you wait for the next hardware refresh to fix this.. it will be even worse in the mind of consumers.. why? because the gamers & builders..like myself you have now screwed, with no performance upgrade path, by ending the 990FX chipset chain.

please just for once.. be sensible and respond to a glaring oversight. release a R7 255 Dual Graphics card. matched exactly to your top apu.

You can't price cap these things in the traditional way.. it works differently. you can cap the CPU side yes, and it slows ..everything.. down..but capping the gpu or cards slowly 'chips away' at the work you have already done building the idea of what a apu should be. YOU AMD are the leader in this field..you can't make such gaffs and hope to fix it later.. fix it now, people will respect your honesty and forgive.. fix it later and you look like goofs.

I have been using AMD since I started in 2006, I have blogged many times about your products, and all this passionate writing comes not from a position of opposition but from one of your own fans.

Yours Sincerly

David Shaw

aka Dava

No comments:

Post a Comment